Directly supporting the Head of Regional Programme (HRP) Middle East Region (MER) in his tasks to manage, empower and support the Regional Representative and the four Country Directors (CD’s) as well as the HQ Middle East Support team.
Medair’s Middle East Response Programme aims to provide humanitarian relief to refugees and internal displaced people affected by the 5 year old conflict in Syria. The programme is innovative, has rapidly grown and includes humanitarian relief actions in four countries (Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon, and Syria) in the sectors Shelter / Non-Food Item (NFI), Health and WASH. Medair has adopted increasingly Cash Transfer Programming modalities for some of its interventions
Medair is a humanitarian organisation inspired and motivated by Christian faith to relieve human suffering in some of the world’s most remote and devastated places. We bring relief and recovery to people in crisis, regardless of race, creed or nationality. As signatories of the Red Cross Code of Conduct, we believe that aid should be given to everyone who is in need, regardless of political, social or religious viewpoint. We save lives in emergencies and then stay to help people recover from crisis with dignity—working side by side with communities to leave a lasting impact. We provide a range of emergency relief and recovery services: health care and nutrition; safe water, sanitation, and hygiene; shelter and infrastructure. Internationally recruited field and headquarters staff lead the organisation, supported by nationally recruited staff to implement programmes locally.
Medair HQ, Lausanne, Switzerland.
As soon as possible
Initial Contract Details
Full time, open-ended contract
Key Activity Areas
Administration & Coordination
- Provide administrative support for Middle East Region (MER) programmes HQ / Field such as handling contracts and legal documents and ensuring compliance of Medair internal procedures.
- Update weekly Medair’s tools with project approval documentation, proposals, reports, minutes and action points. Be responsible for distributing these to relevant team members in timely manner.
- Take the initiative for developing and updating a centralised calendar of deadlines (internal Medair documentation, donor reporting and MER team action points).
- Support Programme Officer in compiling weekly progress ‘reports’ identifying programme issues. Keep the MER programme team updated and follow up on action points.
- Coordinate with Logistics, HR and Finance and provide support where required.
- Prepare agenda, send invitations and take minutes for weekly HQ MER Support team meetings. Record and disseminate action points.
- Represent MER in relevant working groups and departmental / programmes team meeting.
- File country location security plans, evacuation plans and incident reports.
Donor Relations Management
- Develop and maintain excellent relations with the HQ based representatives of non-institutional funding partners to secure (co-) funding for the country programme.
- Work on preparation of summary project proposals from MER programming to acquire essential start-up or co-funding.
- Liaise with and be the focal point for Marketing and Relationships Department Fundraising staff and support by providing key information and statistics on programming, context and beneficiaries.
- Support the Programme Officer with the submission of narrative proposals, operational and financial reports related to the country programme, coherent and in accordance with Medair and donor requirements, country and international standards.
- Build knowledge in collaboration with Medair affiliates on funding opportunities for the MER programme.
- Provide advice, guidance and critical insight to country teams on the design and implementation of donor proposals and reports.
- Maintain a weekly updated overview of foundations and small donors, their specific funding guidelines and reporting schedules.
- Support in analysis of programme expenditure and provide draft analysis for review.
- Support the planning and review of project budgets and financial reports, with a focus on foundation proposals.
- Review the effectiveness, quality and impact of Medair’s humanitarian responses to acute and chronic need, and making summary recommendations for improvement with relevant timeline.
- Document and disseminate project achievements and lessons on a timely basis.
- Maintain filing – physical files, Box, Portfolio and on the server.
International Headquarters - Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the vision and values of Medair with team members, international team members, and external contacts.
- Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Work and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings.
- Instigate and contribute to prayer times within internationally recruited staff and HQ teams.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international programmes and HQ prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks and conveys the spirit of the sort of tasks that are anticipated proactively from staff. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary according to organisational needs.
- University degree or equivalent in a relevant subject such as Management / Development Studies / International Relations/ Business Administration or in a relevant technical subject.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
Experience / Competencies
- Proven reporting and data analysis experience.
- Knowledge of Humanitarian Essentials, Sphere, CHS and HAP Standards and other international humanitarian guidelines and protocols.
- Advanced planning, assessment and analytical skills.
- Good report and proposal writing skills. Good networking and negotiation skills.
- Team-player with good inter-personal skills.
- Capacity to work under pressure, with short deadlines and manage personal stress levels.
- Creative, open-minded, flexible, self-learner.
Profiles sought for InternationalHeadquarters staff
- Experienced Relief Workers and those without field experience.
- Experienced professionals in a relevant Medair
sector of expertise.
- Overseas intercultural work experience desirable.
- Fully committed to the
Medair values; to reflect the vision and values of Medair with team members, international team members, and external contacts.
- Able to work in a multicultural team.
- Strong character traits, including emotional stability, adaptability, ability to handle stress, cultural and gender sensitivity, and honesty.
Benefits Package provided to International Headquarters Staff
- Salary commensurate with the pay-grade of the position.
- Annual leave; Accident insurance and pension.
- Death and disability insurance; Health insurance for loss of earnings.
- A motivating work environment.
- The opportunity to work in a Christian organisation where your contributions make a difference for the world’s most vulnerable.
- Swiss or eligible EU citizens, or those with a valid work permit for Switzerland, can apply.
- This is a HQ based position in Lausanne Switzerland.
- Before you apply, please ensure you are fully aware of the
Medair organisational values.
- Then please fill out your application for this position via the
apply buttons on this page. Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications.
Only English-language applications and CVs will be reviewed.
Medair does not set closing / deadline dates for applications; recruitment is on-going until the position is filled.