Compensation & Benefits Officer
As a member of the HR team that is responsible for managing all compensation and benefits practices and policies, you will support the accurate processing and recording of Medair’s payroll, provide timely and accurate financial reports, and support daily data entry for payroll processing. You will be responsible for supporting, applying and training payroll specialists to process payroll for Medair National Recruited Staff (NRS), International Recruited Staff (IRS) and HQ Staff in collaboration with other HR colleagues. The Compensation & Benefits Officer will research and recommend best practices, identifying any necessary improvements, as well as tools and controls, in line with audit requirements, and will ensure the implementation of any changes.
Medair Headquarters (HQ) provides operational guidance for country programmes and activities, along with both technical and compassionate support for our relief workers. Within our headquarters, we are also responsible for promoting the work of Medair to the world, to raise and manage the funds needed to run our life-saving and sustaining programmes. Our headquarters teams are also responsible for recruiting international and HQ staff, and like our field teams, we are committed to serve the world’s most vulnerable with practical and compassionate care.
Medair Headquarters, Ecublens, near Lausanne, Switzerland
As soon as possible
Initial Contract Details
Full time, open-ended contract
Key Activity Areas
Compensation & Benefits
- Pro-actively develop policies and programs for compensation & benefits and, after approvals, manage the implementation and end to end project management
- Design and customize compensation projects to align with business strategies
- Serve as an expert for the overall job evaluation process by performing grading based job descriptions and ensuring internal equity and market competitiveness
- Conduct the necessary market surveys and research towards establishing the right compensation and benefits programmes in the various countries where is Medair registered and has HQ staff working as well as in reviewing the IRS compensation and benefits package
- Provide support to field HR staff to ensure that they are conducting the necessary market surveys to inform the review of the salary scales and benefit packages for NRS.
- Ensure compliance with internal and external standards for the payroll processes for HQ, IRS and NRS employee pay as well as ensure that all payrolls are processed in a timely and accurate manner.
- Audit and reconcile a wide range of personnel actions and payroll documents for more than 1000 employees.
- Understand and monitor all aspects of payroll in regards to payroll laws and regulations.
- Provide customer service to payroll processors, either based at HQ or in the field.
- Monitor the year-end reporting for the various stakeholders.
- Develop the process guidelines to ensure a consistent application, measure and provide the necessary tools to monitor the process by writing and updating policies and procedures as identified.
- Train and maintain standards with main stakeholders (payroll processors) based at HQ and in the field.
- Inform and explain payroll details to management and HQ / field employees.
- Document the payroll process and insure consistent application of the process.
HR IS Tools
- Review the system parameters in the existing payroll systems and ensure that they are correct, as well as update them with the support of the HQ IS Team were necessary.
- Develop payroll projects related to improving Medair payroll systems.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent diploma or HR certificate
- Swiss Certificate or Brevet in Human Resources or in Social Insurances desirable
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written)
- Working knowledge of French (spoken and written)
Experience / Competencies
- 3 years’ experience processing and monitoring multi-state payroll
- Profound experience in HR/Payroll, Finance or Operations
- Excellent knowledge of different payroll systems
- Knowledge of Swiss social benefits and payroll issues
- Strong knowledge of federal and state regulations
- Working knowledge of payroll best practices
- Able to manage and lead projects independently
- Attention to detail; high degree of professionalism; extremely conscientious and analytical
- Ability to deal sensitively with confidential material
- Strong team player with a collaborative and servant spirit
Profiles sought for InternationalHeadquarters staff
- Experienced Relief Workers and those without field experience
- Experienced professionals in a relevant Medair
sector of expertise
- Overseas intercultural work experience desirable
- Fully committed to the
Medair values; to reflect the vision and values of Medair with team members, international team members, and external contacts
- Able to work in a multicultural team
- Strong character traits, including emotional stability, adaptability, ability to handle stress, cultural and gender sensitivity, and honesty
- Swiss or eligible EU citizens, or those with a valid work permit for Switzerland
- For more senior / technical roles, some other nationalities may be eligible to apply
What benefits does Medair provide for International Headquarters Staff?
- Salary commensurate with the pay-grade of the position
- Annual leave; Accident insurance and pension
- Death and disability insurance; Health insurance for loss of earnings
- A motivating work environment
- The opportunity to work in a Christian organisation where your contributions make a difference for the world’s most vulnerable
HQ Working Conditions
- Swiss or eligible EU citizens, or those with a valid work permit for Switzerland, can apply.
- Position based in Medair HQ office in Switzerland, with some field visits.
Please fill out your application for this position via the
apply buttons on this page. Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications.
Only English-language applications and CVs will be reviewed.
Medair does not set closing / deadline dates for applications; recruitment is on-going until the position is filled.