Offer strategic and technical advice to headquarters and the field, as well as training and coaching to Medair field health and nutrition staff in emergency (acute and chronic) as well as transitional programming. Assist in strengthening, supporting and standardizing the technical quality of Medair’s Health and Nutrition sector programming at field and HQ levels to ensure meeting international health guidelines and best serving our beneficiaries.
Take a look at Medair’sHealth & Nutritionwork.
Medair Headquarters (HQ) provides operational guidance for country programmes and activities, along with both technical and compassionate support for our relief workers. Within our headquarters, we are also responsible for promoting the work of Medair to the world, to raise and manage the funds needed to run our life-saving and sustaining programmes. Our headquarters teams are also responsible for recruiting international and HQ staff, and like our field teams, we are committed to serve the world’s most vulnerable with practical and compassionate care.
Medair is a humanitarian organisation inspired and motivated by Christian faith to relieve human suffering in some of the world’s most remote and devastated places. We bring relief and recovery to people in crisis, regardless of race, creed or nationality. As signatories of the Red Cross Code of Conduct, we believe that aid should be given to everyone who is in need, regardless of political, social or religious viewpoint. We save lives in emergencies and then stay to help people recover from crisis with dignity—working side by side with communities to leave a lasting impact. We provide a range of emergency relief and recovery services: health care and nutrition; safe water, sanitation, and hygiene; shelter and infrastructure. Internationally recruited field and headquarters staff lead the organisation, supported by nationally recruited staff to implement programmes locally.
Based in Medair Headquarters, Ecublens, near Lausanne, Switzerland.
As soon as possible
Initial Contract Details
Full time, 6 months contract
Key Activity Areas
Planning & Implementation
- Review, implement, and monitor the health support strategy for Medair field programmes.
- Develop and monitor metrics for activities under your responsibility from an organisational, portfolio, country, and project perspective.
- Assist in the development of health related organisational policies.
- Assist in development and review of any new country health policies or guidelines.
Quality Management, Technical Assistance, & Research
- Provide timely advice to field teams in the case of disease outbreaks and other medical problems.
- Provide technical health advice at all key stages of the project management cycle including needs assessment, technical strategy and design, as well as sector specific monitoring and evaluation.
- Improve coherence between health and nutrition projects across Medair country programmes.
- Establish a regular exchange of information between HQ, Field Health Advisors and Managers.
- Stay abreast of current best practice. Research and stay informed on academic and technical health and nutrition issues, techniques, and guidelines to inform and improve programming.
- Assist in developing and holding health and nutrition workshops for key field Health and Nutrition staff.
- Assist in developing internal training materials and resources and providing training to staff at appropriate venues, including but not limited to the ROC, HQ Briefing and HQ Inductions.
Human Resource Management
- Give advice as requested on suitability of health staff for various health roles and tasks.
- Manage consultant activities or relationships as necessary.
Humanitarian Aid Networking
- Develop and maintain public health and relief oriented networks in order to share ideas, best practices, lessons learned, and stay informed on current health, nutrition, and humanitarian aid trends.
Institutional Donor Development & Management
- Assist in developing new institutional funding sources for health and nutrition related activities.
- Review and approve marketing material for your sector (not country specific).
- Build our institutional profile by writing, supporting the development of technical articles for publication and speaking at professional conferences and events.
- Support the Communications and Fundraising Department in attracting interested major donors.
- Assist in managing the annual health sector portion of the International department budget.
International Headquarters - Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the vision and values of Medair with team members, international team members, and external contacts.
- Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Work and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings.
- Instigate and contribute to prayer times within internationally recruited staff and HQ teams.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international programmes and HQ prayer network.
- Medical Doctor plus Masters in Public Health (preferred) or Nurse with Masters in Public Health and extensive relief programming experience.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
- Working knowledge of French (spoken and written) desirable.
Experience / Competencies
- At least 3 years’ experience managing Primary Healthcare programs in developing countries.
- 2 years’ experience managing and coordinating acute and chronic complex emergency responses; such as: outbreaks, displaced populations, nutritional emergencies and / or natural disasters.
- Demonstrated health technical expertise in humanitarian settings.
- Strong ability to think strategically along with analytical skills.
- Tactful, high level communication, team building and interpersonal skills. Strong people centred management expertise.
- Capable to develop and motivate people in a servant and supportive manner. Familiar with inter-cultural differences.
- Good self-perception and self-control. Very flexible and resistant to stress.
Profiles sought for InternationalHeadquarters staff
- Experienced Relief Workers and those without field experience.
- Experienced professionals in a relevant Medair
sector of expertise.
- Overseas intercultural work experience desirable.
- Fully committed to the
Medair values; to reflect the vision and values of Medair with team members, international team members, and external contacts.
- Able to work in a multicultural team.
- Strong character traits, including emotional stability, adaptability, ability to handle stress, cultural and gender sensitivity, and honesty.
Benefits Package provided to International Headquarters Staff
- Salary commensurate with the pay-grade of the position.
- Annual leave; Accident insurance and pension.
- Death and disability insurance; Health insurance for loss of earnings.
- A motivating work environment.
- The opportunity to work in a Christian organisation where your contributions make a difference for the world’s most vulnerable.
- Swiss or eligible EU citizens, or those with a valid work permit for Switzerland, can apply.
- For more senior / technical roles, some other nationalities may be eligible to apply.
- Travel for up to 2 - 3 months per year.
- Before you apply, please ensure you are fully aware of the
Medair organisational values.
- Then please fill out your application for this position via the apply buttons on this page.
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications.
Only English-language applications and CVs will be reviewed.
Medair does not set closing / deadline dates for applications; recruitment is on-going until the position is filled.