Regional Logistics Advisor
Provide technical advice and capacity building for logistics, contributing to the overall strengthening of logistics management across Medair’s humanitarian programmes. To implement processes and systems to close compliance gaps, to assist in the field in a mentoring/coaching capacity for staff, and take responsibility for other tasks as requested. May be required to fill gaps for key positions across the organisation, in non-emergency programmes, existing chronic emergencies and may also be required to respond to sudden onset emergencies.
The Regional Logistics Advisor will be deployed to various country programmes for varying time periods ranging from 4 weeks up to 3 months. For each assignment a Terms of Reference (TOR) will be written in conjunction with the Country Director (CD) / Head of Country Programme (HCP) and the HQ Logistics Manager to detail the tasks and responsibilities during deployment, including line-management and reporting responsibilities specific to the assignment.
The job holder will be working across Medair’s field programmes (expected to be 75% of time) whilst also expected to spend time in our Headquarters in Ecublens, Switzerland.
As soon as possible
Initial Contract Details
Full time, minimum 2 years
Key Activity Areas
- Provide planning support and advice to Logistics Manager, Project managers and others making procurement requests, to identify optimum supply routes, and establish procurement plans in alignment with project activity plans and timelines.
- Provide technical advice to field managers and HQ, sharing information on the assessments and proposed interventions, providing overviews of logistics requirements for the development of project proposals and subsequent projects.
- Support the management of existing field bases, establishment of new ones and closing of existing ones.
- Depending on specific TOR, implement proper supply chain management practices, processes and systems according to Medair standards – to include sourcing and procurement, warehousing, transportation and management of logistics resources in fleet, equipment and facilities – to strengthen logistics support of country programmes.
- Depending on specific TOR, lead or coordinate the set up or scale up of emergency response logistics functions.
- Support the field managers in the compilation and validation of logistics components of all base and project budgets.
- Provide training to all logistics and relevant programme staff and, if necessary, create possibilities for capacity building, mentoring and coaching. Provide cross training to project managers and other staff on warehouse and (drug) supply chain procedures to enable monitoring and spot checking of remote warehouses and stock points. Plan and develop training material as required with support from HQ staff as needed.
- In conjunction with relevant manager’s review, develop and implement (as applicable) systems to improve transparency. Implement adequate anti-fraud procedures to detect and ultimately prevent loss or fraud.
- Provide technical advice to ensure projects are implemented in line with donor proposals and requirements and in accordance with Medair, donor, country and international standards.
- Professional qualification in logistics or training in Supply Chain Management, Business Management or a related field
- Certification in Humanitarian Supply Chain Management desirable
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written)
- Working knowledge of French (spoken and written)
Experience / Competencies
- Minimum two years relevant logistics and management experience in emergency and/or development context at a manager level
- Experience in providing practical and technical logistics support to project teams in the form of project planning and preparation and management of budgets
- Experience in putting in place efficient logistics systems, policies and procedures
- Demonstrable knowledge of rules, regulations and donor policies governing the compliance / regulatory management of procurement rules from US, EU, UN and other agencies
- Prepared to undertake extensive travel to country programmes in the region for deployments of 2 -3 months in duration; and willing to work in remote and insecure locations.
- Proven experience of effective independent working and strong emotional resilience
- Strong leadership and project management skills, can quickly get others on-side and is able to influence with their own personal resources
Profiles sought for InternationalHeadquarters staff
- Experienced Relief Workers and those without field experience
- Experienced professionals in a relevant Medair
sector of expertise
- Overseas intercultural work experience desirable
- Fully committed to the
Medair values; to reflect the vision and values of Medair with team members, international team members, and external contacts
- Able to work in a multicultural team
- Strong character traits, including emotional stability, adaptability, ability to handle stress, cultural and gender sensitivity, and honesty
- Swiss or eligible EU citizens, or those with a valid work permit for Switzerland
- For more senior / technical roles, some other nationalities may be eligible to apply
What benefits does Medair provide for International Headquarters Staff?
- Salary commensurate with the pay-grade of the position
- Annual leave; Accident insurance and pension
- Death and disability insurance; Health insurance for loss of earnings
- A motivating work environment
- The opportunity to work in a Christian organisation where your contributions make a difference for the world’s most vulnerable
HQ Working Conditions
- This is mainly a field-based position and working and living conditions may be very different to that previously experienced.
Please fill out your application for this position via the
apply buttons on this page. Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications.
Only English-language applications and CVs will be reviewed.
Medair does not set closing / deadline dates for applications; recruitment is on-going until the position is filled.