Medical Director Early Clinical Development
“I want to leverage my expertise to create healthier lives through good nutrition”
Clinical Development Unit (CDU), Undefined period of time contract, act. rate 100%
Lausanne, Switzerland (or possibly Greater London)
Over the last 5 years, the 600-staff Nestlé Research Center has published around 1000 scientific publications in peer reviewed journals and filed about 80 patents every year. Nestlé Research Center conducts up to 60 clinical trials in the areas of healthy nutrition, medical nutrition, metabolic disease, gastro-intestinal health etc. alone or with CROs. The Nestlé Research Center also has around 100 research collaborations with universities or research institutes around the world. The Nestlé Research Center devotes itself to 5 main research programs: food safety and integrity, first 1000 days and healthy kids, healthy ageing, healthy pleasure and sustainable nutrition. The Nestlé Research Center plays an important role in providing the science behind healthier products, such as the reformulation of products with lower levels of sugar, salt and fat, and an increase in vitamins, minerals and fiber. (learn more about the NRC at www.research.nestle.com
The Clinical Development Unit opened in 2012. This unit manages Nestlé’s global clinical trials program and has around 60 ongoing clinical trials every year. The Clinical Development Unit investigates how different product formulations affect clinical biochemistry (such as blood cholesterol) or physiological functions as well as the bioavailability and safety of nutrients.
Combining innovative drive and strong scientific integrity you will be leading the design and implementation of breakthrough clinical substantiation plans and clinical trials in order to develop innovative competitive products which meet consumer needs and support the Nestlé Nutrition, Health and Wellness strategy for the business units. Your excellent organizational skills and your strong communication skills with partners from various backgrounds will allow you to be successful in this role.
- Participate in designing the early development clinical strategy to develop nutrition and health benefits for Nestlé products.
- Identify and demonstrate to Proof of Concept the clinical benefits of Nestlé products that are most relevant to consumers and by doing so optimally support the Nestlé business units
- Design, plan and deliver Early Clinical Development plans for products/ingredients that provide a solid base for late stage development programs of final products.
- Provide scientific / medical recommendations within networks and where appropriate cross-functional to improve performance and quality in clinical substantiation of health benefits.
- Provide critical reviews of scientific/ technical content of projects and promote cross-fertilization of health benefit opportunities across businesses
- Ensure that specific Clinical R&D expertise is developed and transferred across the organization.
- Liaise with Nestlé Experts, R&D functions and external collaborators to drive continuous improvements
- Foster a climate of innovation, mobilize and coach people
Education and experience
Medical Doctor degree, preferably with specialization in one of the following therapeutic areas: internal medicine, translational medicine, clinical pharmacology.
PhD and/or MBA and/or license to practice in Switzerland will be considered an advantage
Min 5 years experience in clinical R&D in Pharma, Nutrition, CRO organization in multiple clinical sites
Understanding of operational set-up of clinical substantiation plans and clinical studies in an international setting with track record for major innovation or initiatives
Full knowledge of state of the art in field of early clinical research & development
Business acumen and capability of translating scientific concepts into business opportunities
Excellent communication and networking skills at an international level
Project and stakeholder management experience
Ability to manage resources and budgets in a matrix organization
Fluency in English, knowledge of one or more major languages is a plus
Show us that you have strong initiative capabilities as well as your pro-active collaboration abilities. Your curiosity and capacity to stay focus on results will be your main assets for this position. Developing people will contribute strongly to you and our success. If you are interested, please apply in English at www.nestle.com/jobs
The Nestlé Group is the World’s leading Nutrition, Health and Wellness Company with 88,8 billion Swiss Francs in sales in 2015, more than 335,000 employees worldwide and 436 factories in more than 85 countries. We offer an attractive and dynamic international working environment with constant opportunities for development, reflecting our conviction that people are our most important asset. Learn more about our Group and reasons to join us on www.nestle.com.