Sub-department:Logistics IT Products
Office Location:Basel - Corporate Head Office (PAC)
Travel Required:up to 10%
The Panalpina Group is one of the world's leading providers of supply chain solutions, combining its core
products of Air Freight, Ocean Freight, and Logistics to deliver globally integrated, tailor-made
end-to-end solutions. The Panalpina Group operates a global network with some 500 offices in more
than 70 countries, and employs around 16,000 people worldwide.
We are looking to hire a Corporate IT Demand & Innovation Manager to manage the Demand & Innovation department of the Corporate Logistics IT Products.
The Demand consists in managing the Logistics IT demand pipeline:
• Act as primary partner for the business functions
• Capture, structure, plan and align business demand
• Match the demand with the capacity of IT supply functions (build, run and other IT functions)
• Facilitate consistent demand and supply through a well-established validation and prioritization process involving business functions and IT supply functions
The Innovation consists in managing Panapina innovation initiatives:
• plan innovation lifecycle
• assess new technologies and practices which may add value to Panalpina or increase market leadership
• develop prototypes and running pilot programs
• productize the successful innovation outcomes
• Demand management:
• Own & Manage the necessary relationship with the business functions with respect to their needs towards IT (project, system enhancement, new product creation, etc.) and the different IT supply units
• Initiate, participate and contribute to any ongoing corporate Business initiatives in order to anticipate upcoming IT demand.
• Take IT Lead & Accountability for Product CCBs
• Capture new IT demand in form of business case or change request. Where needed, translate, either by own efforts or delegation to subject matter experts, high-level needs in structured and high quality business requirement specifications in order to have a consistent basis for estimation and planning.
• Support the development of a demand/pipeline management process enabled by appropriate tool(s).
• As part of the IT Product Management team align the demand pipeline with business priority, IT capacity, technical dependencies and ongoing product and project development.
• Ensure internal IT demand alignment with the other IT Product Demand Managers
• Act as the single point of contact towards the different business functions for all demand that is in stage ‘idea’ and ‘planning’ as well as serve as the escalation point. Hand-over interaction to supply units only once IT development work reaches the status ‘current’ and thus development work is in progress. Contribute to the vision, strategy and roadmap definition of Logistics IT products in line with the demand pipeline, the overall IT strategy and other strategic programs such as OTP
• Participate in and contribute to the the yearly budgeting (resourcing & money) process
• Accountable for Demand & Innovation cost center within the department
• Ensures accurate and timely communication of all IT demand to the business functions and IT supply functions (build, run and other IT functions). Create transparency about upcoming business initiatives, the current demand pipeline and the current IT capacity in order to trigger budget and resource planning
• Collaborate with IT supply functions (build, run and other IT functions) to deliver the final products
• Accountable for the delivery of agreed IT developments towards the business functions.
• Act as work stream lead for innovation projects
• Create business cases/solution concepts in cooperation with the concerned business functions and workgroups to ensure it can be translated into tangible business value for Panalpina
• Drive research & development based on innovation with the most advanced technology and concept such as robotic, big data, deep learning etc.
• Solicit market feedback and competitor intelligence, leverage benchmarking data and industry research to identify insights, strategic and innovation opportunities
• Explore, assess and recommend new advanced technologies against current processes and technologies, which provide high business value to Panalpina
• Identify and build relationships with third party Research & Development institutes, technology partners and Supply Chain organizations
• Communicate the innovation initiatives
• Master degree in Engineering, Supply Chain or similar
• Minimum of 5 years relevant work experience in the transportation, logistics or supply chain management industry
• Proven experience in IT business, consulting, research projects and project management
• Excellent freight forwarding, logistics and supply chain knowledge
• Knowledge of WMS systems
• Excellent project management knowledge
• Proven track record in technological products, process research & development or supply chain process engineering
• Sound knowledge in computer science, engineering, mathematics, statistics and modern technologies such as analytics, machine learning, cloud computing etc.
• Overall understanding of Panalpina business processes and interdependencies
• Having an entrepreneurial spirit
• Ability to recognize Industry and Market trends
• Ability to lead and coordinate efforts and resources within and across boundaries to deliver goals
• Ability to influence and convince others in a way that results in acceptance and agreement
• Capable of systematic and rational analysis to identify the root cause of problems
• Capable to make informed judgments and to generate pragmatic, practical, timely solutions
• Able to initiate and implement new approaches and procedures
• Able to translate strategy into operational plans and on to execution
• Capable to communicate across hierarchical levels
• Ability to work in a highly complex environment and deal with stakeholders with converged but different goals (Panalpina IT, Panalpina business, external software vendor, Panalpina customer, the customer/supplier of the Panalpina customer, etc.)
• Ready to take personal accountability for achieving individual and shared goals
• Self-motivated, self-driven and result-oriented
• High commitment and positive attitude in the face of setbacks and obstacles
• Willingness to engage in constructive confrontation
• Authentic, approachable, open and honest
• Excellent business English (Panalpina corporate language)
• Bilingual preferred (international working environment)
• Basic German knowledge or willingness to learn (official language of the job location)