Scientific Computing Systems Engineer 100%
The Paul Scherrer Institute PSI is the largest research centre for natural and engineering sciences within Switzerland. We perform cutting-edge research in the fields of matter and materials, energy and environment and human health. By performing fundamental and applied research, we work on sustainable solutions for major challenges facing society, science and economy. PSI is committed to the training of future generations. Therefore about one quarter of our staff are post-docs, post-graduates or apprentices. Altogether PSI employs 1900 people. PSI is operating a Tier-3 Computing Cluster within the CERN/LHC computing grid framework on behalf of the CMS groups of PSI, ETHZ and UniZ.
For the High Performance Computing Group within the Science IT Section we are looking for a
Scientific Computing Systems Engineer
- Planning and operation of PSI’s Tier-3 Grid Cluster for the analysis of LHC data from CERN for the CMS experiment
- Contact for the Swiss CMS computing community to the LHC computing grid resources at the national supercomputing centre CSCS (VO-representative)
- Deputy for the HPC Cluster Administrator, who in turn will also deputize this position
- Support for the scientific users of the CMS Tier-3
- University degree in computer science or equivalent practical experience
- Experience in the administration of Linux systems in a production level environment with good scripting skills
- Experience in operating LHC computing clusters and running LHC framework applications
- Ability and desire to automate system administration tasks and to work on tools and processes to that end with the colleagues of our HPC team
- Enjoy working in a scientific environment with direct contact to the researchers
- Good written and spoken English
- Knowledge of German or willingness to learn German on the job
Our institution is based on an interdisciplinary, innovative and dynamic collaboration. You will profit from a systematic training on the job, in addition to personal development possibilities and our pronounced vocational training culture. If you wish to optimally combine work and family life or other personal interests, we are able to support you with our modern employment conditions and the on-site infrastructure.
For further information please contact Dr. Valeri Markushin, phone +41 56 310 36 57.
Please submit your application online for the position as a Scientific Computing Systems Engineer (index no. 9552-00).
Paul Scherrer Institut, Human Resources Management, Sandra Denk, 5232 Villigen PSI, Switzerland