The Paul Scherrer Institute PSI is the largest research centre for natural and engineering sciences within Switzerland. We perform cutting-edge research in the fields of matter and materials, energy and environment and human health. By performing fundamental and applied research, we work on sustainable solutions for major challenges facing society, science and economy. PSI is committed to the training of future generations. Therefore about one quarter of our staff are post-docs, post-graduates or apprentices. Altogether PSI employs 2000 people.
For the Catalysis for Energy Group, part of the Bioenergy and Catalysis Laboratory, we are looking for a
Operando spectroscopy of solid catalysts in liquid environment
- Research in the field of supported metal catalysts for hydrogenation reactions relevant to biomass valorization
- Synthesis of heterogeneous catalysts and their structural, morphological and chemical characterization
- Evaluation of the catalytic properties
- Development of a suitable spectroscopy reactor cell
- Investigation of the solid catalysts under operando conditions using ATR-IR spectroscopy and X-ray absorption spectroscopy at the Swiss Light Source (SLS)
- Write reports and publish the relevant results in international journals
- Present the relevant results at national/international meetings and conferences
- Master in chemistry, chemical engineering, material science or a related field
- Active interest in experimental work and in working in an interdisciplinary team
- Basic knowledge in heterogeneous catalysis, analytical techniques, X-ray absorption and/or infrared spectroscopy would be an advantage
- Good skills in English, written and spoken and a basic knowledge of German will be an advantage
Our institution is based on an interdisciplinary, innovative and dynamic collaboration. You will profit from a systematic training on the job, in addition to personal development possibilities and our pronounced vocational training culture. If you wish to optimally combine work and family life or other personal interests, we are able to support you with our modern employment conditions and the on-site infrastructure.
For further information please contact Dr Davide Ferri, phone +41 56 310 27 81 or Prof. Dr Oliver Kröcher, phone +41 56 310 20 66.
Please submit your application online including addresses of referees for the position as a PhD Student (index no. 5105-00).
Paul Scherrer Institut, Human Resources Management, Ramona Diener, 5232 Villigen PSI, Switzerland