The Paul Scherrer Institute PSI is the largest research centre for natural and engineering sciences within Switzerland. We perform cutting-edge research in the fields of matter and materials, energy and environment and human health. By performing fundamental and applied research, we work on sustainable solutions for major challenges facing society, science and economy. PSI is committed to the training of future generations. Therefore about one quarter of our staff are post-docs, post-graduates or apprentices. Altogether PSI employs 1900 people.
The next generation of photon detectors will yield data streams at multi-GB/s rates. This requires the resilient design and operation of the compute and storage systems for the data acquisition. As part of a highly skilled and motivated team you will help to design and operate the storage and compute systems used to collect and analyze data from PSI’s new Free Electron Laser (SwissFEL).
For our Scientific Computing Section we are looking for a
- Build and operate the high performance storage environment of SwissFEL
- Help defining high performance and throughput storage architecture solutions together with other specialists in our team
- Provide 2nd level support for SwissFEL computing infrastructure end users
- Act as a deputy for the team colleague taking care of the same responsibilities for PSI’s Swiss Light Source Synchrotron facility
- Manage projects dealing with the planning, procurement and implementation of storage and compute systems for the facility
- MSc degree in computer science or equivalent practical experience
- Experience in the administration of Linux systems in a production level environment with good scripting skills
- Experience in operating high performance storage solutions (parallel file systems), ideally GPFS (Spectrum Scale)
- Good written and spoken English
Additionally desired qualifications:
- Experience with RHEL based Linux distributions
- Programming experience in Python and C
- Knowledge of Infiniband networking
Our institution is based on an interdisciplinary, innovative and dynamic collaboration. You will profit from a systematic training on the job, in addition to personal development possibilities and our pronounced vocational training culture. If you wish to optimally combine work and family life or other personal interests, we are able to support you with our modern employment conditions and the on-site infrastructure.
For further information please contact Dr Derek Feichtinger, phone +41 56 310 47 33.
Please submit your application online for the position as a Systems Engineer (index no. 9550-00).
Paul Scherrer Institut, Human Resources Management, Sandra Denk, 5232 Villigen PSI, Switzerland