The Paul Scherrer Institute PSI is the largest research centre for natural and engineering sciences within Switzerland. We perform cutting-edge research in the fields of matter and materials, energy and environment and human health. By performing fundamental and applied research, we work on sustainable solutions for major challenges facing society, science and economy. PSI is committed to the training of future generations. Therefore about one quarter of our staff are post-docs, post-graduates or apprentices. Altogether PSI employs 1900 people.
With the development of free electron laser (FEL) radiation sources a new area of X-Ray spectroscopy commenced. PSI explores and develops methods for nonlinear coherent optical/X-Ray experiments with the ultimate aim of applying these at the SwissFEL free electron laser facility which is planned to operate by the end of 2017.
For this project we are looking for a
Nonlinear X-Ray Spectroscopy
- Participation at X-Ray absorption and emission experiments and XUV-four wave mixing experiments at FELS
- Developing theoretical models in the field of nonlinear X-Ray spectroscopy
- Analysis and interpretation of measured data (comparison to models)
- Support of experimental PhD student activities in the field of nonlinear X-Ray spectroscopy
- Publication in journals and participation on conferences
The successful candidate will be involved in the development, analysis and interpretation of nonlinear X-Ray experiments that we have and will perform at synchrotrons and at FEL’s. You have
- PhD degree in physics or theoretical physics
- Experience with simulations of X-Ray absorption and emission spectroscopy
- Experience with simulations in nonlinear optics and spectroscopy
- Background in evaluating and calculating X-Ray emission spectra and strong interest in ultrafast nonlinear spectroscopy and X-Ray techniques
- Good knowledge of English
Our institution is based on an interdisciplinary, innovative and dynamic collaboration. You will profit from a systematic training on the job, in addition to personal development possibilities and our pronounced vocational training culture. If you wish to optimally combine work and family life or other personal interests, we are able to support you with our modern employment conditions and the on-site infrastructure.
Your employment contract is limited to two years.
For further information please contact Dr Gregor Knopp, phone +41 56 310 41 08.
Please submit your application online (including list of publications and addresses of referees) for the position as a Postdoctoral Fellow (index no. 1620-03).
Paul Scherrer Institut Human Resources Management, Jacqueline Byland, 5232 Villigen PSI, Switzerland