PhD Student 100%
The Paul Scherrer Institute PSI is the largest research centre for natural and engineering sciences within Switzerland. We perform cutting-edge research in the fields of matter and materials, energy and environment and human health. By performing fundamental and applied research, we work on sustainable solutions for major challenges facing society, science and economy. PSI is committed to the training of future generations. Therefore about one quarter of our staff are post-docs, post-graduates or apprentices. Altogether PSI employs 2000 people.
In the frame of hydrogen uptake of fuel claddings, we are looking for a
PhD Student in materials science, for the determination of the causes of hydrogen uptake at high burnup
You will further consolidate the team working on the characterization of the materials by means of different microscopy techniques and in situ measurement methods:
- Prepare samples for in situ mechanical measurements on selected materials and comparison of the results with those obtained in previous studies
- Measurement of the conductivity of selected claddings by in situ techniques and comparison with previous results
- Contribution to the measurements performed by X-Ray microscopy and tomography
- Development of models to explain and validate the observations and contribute to models related to the mechanisms involved
- Collaboration with the team by means of supporting the measurements when necessary
- Communicate your results in conferences and scientific journals
You will be enrolled at the University of Birmingham, however, you will perform your PhD at Paul Scherrer Institut. You will collaborate in an international frame with other working groups.
- University degree (Master) in materials science, physics or related fields, good knowledge and experience of materials characterization techniques
- Good experimental capacity, knowledge of transmission electron microscopy and / or focused ion beam
- Interest to work in a multi-disciplinary environment, team spirit
- Good knowledge of programming language(s)
- Good written and oral communication skills in English, open-minded personality
- Knowledge of a second language (German or French) is a plus
Our institution is based on an interdisciplinary, innovative and dynamic collaboration. You will profit from a systematic training on the job, in addition to personal development possibilities and our pronounced vocational training culture. If you wish to optimally combine work and family life or other personal interests, we are able to support you with our modern employment conditions and the on-site infrastructure.
For further information please contact Dr Sousan Abolhassani, phone +41 56 310 21 91.
Please submit your application online (including addresses of referees) for the position as a PhD Student (index no. 4602-00).
Paul Scherrer Institut, Human Resources Management, Stefanie Whale, 5232 Villigen PSI, Switzerland