The Paul Scherrer Institute PSI is the largest research centre for natural and engineering sciences within Switzerland. We perform cutting-edge research in the fields of matter and materials, energy and environment and human health. By performing fundamental and applied research, we work on sustainable solutions for major challenges facing society, science and economy. PSI is committed to the training of future generations. Therefore about one quarter of our staff are post-docs, post-graduates or apprentices. Altogether PSI employs 1900 people.
In the Laboratory for Nuclear Materials and for the Nuclear Fuels Project we are looking for a
Thermo-mechanical behavior of nuclear fuel claddings
- Description of thermo-mechanical behavior of nuclear fuel claddings, taking the influence of hydrogen embrittlement and dry storage scenarios into account
- Development of materials models and calculations / FEM analysis linked to micro-mechanics and analytical results (e.g. SEM, metallography)
- Thermo-mechanical testing, involvement in the use of PSI’s large scale facilities (hotlab, neutron radiography, synchrotron)
- Publications in peer reviewed journals and at international conferences
- Project organization, participation in international committees, networking
- Proposal writing, apply for second and third party funding
- Initiation and supervision of Master-, PhD Students and Postdoc projects
- University degree (PhD) in materials science, physics, engineering or chemistry
- Strong background in mechanics, experience in materials models and FEM
- Excellent scientific track record and work experience abroad
- Excellent communication skills in English required, knowledge of German is desirable
- You prefer working in an international environment with multidisciplinary contacts to scientific as well as industrial partners
Our institution is based on an interdisciplinary, innovative and dynamic collaboration. You will profit from a systematic training on the job, in addition to personal development possibilities and our pronounced vocational training culture. If you wish to optimally combine work and family life or other personal interests, we are able to support you with our modern employment conditions and the on-site infrastructure.
This is a Tenure Track position. The employment contract will initially be limited to 3 years.
For further information please contact Dr Johannes Bertsch, phone +41 56 310 41 73.
Please submit your application online (including list of publications and addresses of referees) for the position as a Materials Scientist (index no. 4602-02).
Paul Scherrer Institut, Human Resources Management, Hedwig Habersaat, 5232 Villigen PSI, Switzerland