The Project Coordination Officeof the Human Brain Project( HBP-PCO) at EPFL, situated at the Campus Biotech in Geneva, Switzerland is looking to strengthen its Collaboratory team with an experienced:
Technical Project Manager
The HBP Technical Coordination Team seeks an experienced technical project manager to assist in the coordination of standard architectural and development practices across the HBP Collaboratory and 6 HBP Platforms:
- Brain Simulation
- High Performance Analytics and Computing
- Medical Informatics
- Neuromorphic computing
You can get an overview of the HBP Platforms and some of the science they support from the 1 stHBP Platform Release videos here:
Short version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hb7CcwmRLcs(0h51)
Long version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XXz2quUWFQ(2h24)
Specific responsibilities include:
- Support the preparation of project proposals and Description of the Action documents.
- Work with the rest of the Technical and Scientific Coordination team to monitor the progress of project implementation across 12 Subprojects and 100+ partners.
- Contribute to the development of a project management database and to the curation of its data.
- Transverse leadership to facilitate standardization of software and system engineering practices among key HBP contributors.
- Technical documentation for the architecture, software engineering and system engineering practices agreed upon by the project.
- Assist in KPI development for the HBP Platform development and user engagement activities.
- Involvement in the management of subcontractors to the HBP-PCO
- Active participation in the activities of the HBP-wide Software Development Committee.
- Active participation in the activities of the HBP-wide Infrastructure Development Committee.
Essential skills and experience:
- It is expected that the you come with a strong software architecture and software development background.Proven ability to drive adoption and refinement of software development practices across a diverse organization.
- Exceptional communication skills in spoken and written English.
- Technical writing skills.
Some of the other things we like:
- Analytics – from Google analytics to custom internal KPIs
- Data visualization – the right picture is worth a 1000 words
- Service Oriented Architectures
- Cloud computing
- Experience managing subcontractors
- Experience with EU project procedures and rules
- Minimum of 7 years of experience and successful development track record for large collaborative software projects
What is HBP?
The Human Brain Project is a European Flagship project with 112 leading universities and research institutes in 24 countries around the world. The goal of the project is to better understand the human brain by accelerating large-scale collaborative neuroscience across a wide range of disciplines. As part of the work needed to accomplish this goal we are building a neuroscientific research infrastructure to enable strategic scientific use-cases.
Why work in the HBP-PCO Collaboratory team?
Understanding the human brain is one of the greatest challenges facing 21st century science. Joining the HBP-PCO will put you at the centre of an effort to gain profound insights into what makes us human, develop new treatments for brain disease and build revolutionary new computing technologies.
The Collaboratory team in the HBP-PCO plays a central role in the larger HBP Platform effort to build solid scientific software tools and services. You will find yourself inspired by the cool things that people around you are building and make a meaningful contribution to understanding the brain. You will find yourself inspired by the exciting things that people around you are building and make a meaningful contribution to understanding the brain.
We work hard to find the right people and to keep our skills and insights sharp. We are a young, dynamic, interdisciplinary and international team. We focus on delivering high value to the scientific community and are involved in everything from community engagement to integrating scientific workflows with some of the world’s largest supercomputers.
Our offices benefit from a modern working environment based in Biotech Campus, 200m from the shore of Lake Leman, in one of the best cities to live in the world. You will be in the center of Europe with easy access by rail and Geneva airport to all that Europe has to offer.
Join us and make an important contribution to the success of one of the most exciting projects of the 21 stcentury!
Start date: as soon as possible; Deadline for application: until position is filled
Activity rate: 100%; Duration of contract: 1 year, renewable
Reference: HBP – Technical Project Manager
Applicants should submit a cover letter and a detailed CV in PDF format only, with file name “Surname_positon applied_Cover letter” and “Surname_positon applied_CV” electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use the position title in the “object” field.