The Project Coordination Officeof the Human Brain Project( HBP-PCO) at EPFL , situated at the Campus Biotech in Geneva, Switzerland is looking to strengthen its Collaboratory team with an experienced:
Senior Systems Engineer – Dev Ops
To employ DevOps best practices to ensure efficient and reliable delivery of web-based collaborative tools to the HBP and the global neuroscience community.
The HBP Collaboratory provides collaborative workspaces and enables collaborative workflows to support the global scientific effort to build, explore and exploit simulated brain models of unparalleled complexity, scope and detail.
To accomplish this goal, the HBP Collaboratory also provides a web portal and web service ecosystem to integrate web based applications and services from the 6 HBP Platforms:
- Brain Simulation
- High Performance Analytics and Computing
- Medical Informatics
- Neuromorphic computing
You can get an overview of the HBP Platforms and some of the science they support from the 1 stHBP Platform Release videos here:
Specific responsibilities include:
- Selection, deployment and management of services, standards and tools to enable HBP
- Platform development teams, including but not limited to:
- Development tools (bug trackers, source control, continuous integration)
- Deployment workflows
- Software driven configuration (Puppet, Chef, Ansible, etc.)
- Logging and log analysis
- Monitoring services
- Selection, deployment and management of services, standards and tools to enable collaboration of HBP teams, including but not limited to:
- End-user support
- Desktop and laptop computing systems
- Network storage
- Telephony (video and audio)
- Oversight and delegation of various activities to 3 rd-party ICT service providers.
- Systematic, pragmatic evaluation of new technologies for inclusion in the Dev Ops stack.
- Provide technical guidance and support to Collaboratory team and other HBP teams for various service developments.
- Contribute to the definition and documentation of the HBP Platform strategy and its technical and operational standards.
- Regular, direct interaction with developer customers
Essential skills and experience :
- Experience designing and implementing significant parts of a Dev Ops toolchain in a production environment
- Expert knowledge of Linux operating systems
- Extensive experience working with opensource technologies.
- Proficient in scripting languages (e.g. Python, Perl, Ruby, Shell)
- Track record of operating internet-facing production services
Some of the other things we like :
- Experience designing and building private cloud infrastructure and services
- Software driven Quality Assurance testing
- Experience with high performance computing environments
- Experience building and leading system engineering teams
- Experience deploying and managing a large service portfolio on a public cloud provider (Amazon, Rackspace, OVH, etc.)
- Elasticsearch or Lucene experience
- Minimum of 4 years of experience and successful development track record for large intranet or internet service deployments.
What is HBP?
The Human Brain Project is a European Flagship project with 112 leading universities and research institutes in 24 countries around the world. The goal of the project is to better understand the human brain by accelerating large-scale collaborative neuroscience across a wide range of disciplines. As part of the work needed to accomplish this goal we are building a neuroscientific research infrastructure to enable strategic scientific use-cases.
Why work in the HBP-PCO Collaboratory team?
Understanding the human brain is one of the greatest challenges facing 21st century science. Joining the HBP-PCO will put you at the centre of an effort to gain profound insights into what makes us human, develop new treatments for brain disease and build revolutionary new computing technologies.
The Collaboratory team in the HBP-PCO plays a central role in the larger HBP Platform effort to build solid scientific software tools and services. You will find yourself inspired by the cool things that people around you are building and make a meaningful contribution to understanding the brain. You will find yourself inspired by the exciting things that people around you are building and make a meaningful contribution to understanding the brain.
We work hard to find the right people and to keep our skills and insights sharp. We are a young, dynamic, interdisciplinary and international team. We focus on delivering high value to the scientific community and are involved in everything from community engagement to integrating scientific workflows with some of the world’s largest supercomputers.
Our offices benefit from a modern working environment based in Biotech Campus, 200m from the shore of Lake Leman, in one of the best cities to live in the world. You will be in the center of Europe with easy access by rail and Geneva airport to all that Europe has to offer.
Join us and make an important contribution to the success of one of the most exciting projects of the 21 stcentury!
Start date : as soon as possible ; Deadline for application: until the position is filled
Activity rate : 100%; Duration of contract: 1 year, renewable
Reference : HBP1616
Applicants should submit a cover letter and a detailed CV in PDF format only, with file name “Surname_positon applied_Cover letter” and “Surname_positon applied_CV” electronically to email@example.com . Please use the position title in the “object” field.