The Blue Brain Project (BBP), applies advanced neuroinformatics, data analytics, high-performance computing and simulation-based approaches to the challenge of understanding the structure and function of the mammalian brain in health and disease. The BBP plays a leading role in the Human Brain Project, which aims to accelerate our understanding of the human brain, enable advances in defining and diagnosing brain disorders, and develop new brain-like technologies through open science and global collaboration.
The BBP has recently launched creating a Neuroinformatics platform for large-scale neuroscience data integration, search and analysis to serve the scientific community. The Software Engineer will be primarily responsible for developing and maintaining the core integration and analytical services of the Platform.
To strengthen its Neuroinformatics Engineering team we are looking for a
Software engineer – Backend Scala Developer
Specific responsibilities include:
- Develop and maintain microservices to access Neuroscience data within the Platform
- Develop search and custom API services for the neuroscientist community
- Participate to the definition of the Platform roadmap and specification of the Platform services
- Implement best-practices for maintainable software development, including but not limited to: continuous integration, build, release, deployment process, managing services in various environments, documentation, adherence to and improvement of coding standards.
Experience and preferred skills:
- Expertise in Java,
- Experience with Scala and a strong wish to develop this skill,
- Experience with RDBMS and/or NoSQL systems,
- Agile software development, unit and integration testing.
Experience in any of the following areas would be a plus:
- Working experience in developing distributed systems and asynchronous messaging,
- Scala/Java frameworks (Akka toolkit, Spring, Hibernate, RabbitMQ),
- Search engine technologies (ElasticSearch),
- DevOps technologies (Puppet, Docker, OpenShift, OpenStack, Jenkins),
- Scripting languages (Python, Bash),
- Scalable data analytics technologies (Spark),
- Semantic web technologies (RDF/OWL, SPARQL, triple stores).
- Master degree in software engineering or equivalent,
- At least 2 years experience of software development,
- English written and spoken. French would be a plus.
What we offer:
- An internationally visible and rising project in simulation-based research in neuroscience using supercomputers,
- A young, dynamic, inter-disciplinary, and international working environment,
- A modern working environment, based at Biotech Campus in Geneva Sécheron.
Start date:as soon as possible ; Deadline for application:until the position is filled
Activity rate:100%; Duration of contract:1 year, renewable; Ref:BBP13113
Applicants should submit a cover letterand a detailed CVin PDF format only, with file name “Surnam e_position applied to _Cover Letter” and “Surname _position applied to _CV ”electronically to email@example.com. Please use the position title and the referencein the “subject” field.