Please refer to JobSuchmaschine in your application
Trainee Patent Attorney
Job ID151983BRPosting TitleTrainee Patent AttorneyDivisionPharmaBusiness UnitGlobal LegalCountrySwitzerlandWork LocationBaselCompany/Legal EntitySwitzerland Novartis Pharma AG BaselJob TypeFull TimeEmployment TypeInternshipJob DescriptionA 3-5 year position on the patent trainee program offered each year to 1-2 exceptional candidates who meet the required criteria and have the desire and potential to enter the patent attorney profession and work in the pharmaceutical industry.
The ultimate objective of the program is preparation for the European Qualifying Examination (EQE) and qualification as a European Patent Attorney. The course is based upon hands on work experience at all levels of activity within a pharmaceutical company Intellectual Property (IP) department including:
• paralegal support work
• patent searching
• litigation support
• patent drafting and prosecution
The program may also involve visits to IP departments in other Divisions of Novartis and specific assignments, e.g. supporting attorneys with European Patent Office oppositions, litigation and due diligences for in-licensing products. The training will be based on a structured curriculum and defined career path, including formal training both internally and externally with set criteria and check points for passing from one stage to the next. The training will be structured to allow time for study and it will involve one-on-one mentoring/coaching by experienced colleagues.
Candidates applying before March 1 will be considered for a position starting in September/October. Candidates applying before September 1 will be considered for a position starting in February.Minimum requirements• Relevant scientific background - recent good graduate or postgraduate qualification in a relevant scientific discipline, e.g. organic chemistry, biochemistry, biology, pharmacy, medicine, medical/bio-engineering, healthcare IT, other possibilities considered.
• As the program is aimed at graduates and postgraduates leaving university and the patent trainee salary is comparable to that of post-doctoral position, no previous work experience is required.
• The desire and dedication required to train for a professional qualification as a patent attorney and enter the patent attorney profession.
• A desire to work for an innovative pharmaceutical company at the interface of science/law/business.
• Excellent written and spoken English.
• Very good communication skills.
• An ordered, logical and analytical mind.
• IT savvy.
• No more than 2 post doc positions and/or 4 years in a post doc/scientific position after finishing scientific studies at University.
• No more than 3 years away from science.
• Not qualified as a patent attorney in another country.