Please refer to JobSuchmaschine in your application
Head Environmental Materials & Remediation
Job ID194123BRPosition TitleHead Environmental Materials & RemediationDivisionNBSBusiness UnitREFS NBSCountrySwitzerlandWork LocationBaselCompany/Legal EntityNovartis Pharma AGFunctional AreaFacilities and AdministrationJob TypeFull TimeEmployment TypeRegularJob DescriptionIn accordance with Novartis’ overall 2015 HSE&BCM vision and strategic initiatives, the purpose of this role is to lead the development and implementation of global policy, strategy, standards, targets and performance criteria related to materials, waste, contaminated site management, and remediation for all Novartis sites, and provide technical oversight and coordination of related initiatives and projects.
• Leads the further development and implementation of a globally aligned strategy
• Engages research and development operations, technical manufacturing operations and internal business functions
• Leads internal committees, working groups, and project initiatives and
Implementation and Operations
• Supports the Group HSE&BCM policy, strategy, standards, targets and performance criteria, including the HSE&BC Mgt System & its component Global Operating Procedures (GOPs)
• Provides technical support and training in key areas
• Promotes and maintains the HSE&BC reputation of Novartis though internal and external communication,
• Fosters HSE and BC/NEM networking within the Group, incl. sharing of lessons learned and best practices
Expertise & Support
• Engages with REFS, Legal, Procurement, TechOps Engineering, HSE & BCM Business Partners and sites with technical expertise on materials, waste, remediation and contaminated site mgt
• Oversees and manages external reporting in a scientifically sound and cost-effective manner according to regulatory demands, ensuring full compliance and timely submissions
• Supports Corporate Responsibility and other external reporting
• Advises and counsels HSE & BCM professionals and company leaders.
• Provides technical support and leadership in conjunction with the HSE&BCM Business Partners and the functional group Heads with respect to materials, waste, contaminated site management and remediation, and leverages subject matter experts and affiliated departments to develop efficient processes and information flow to and from the appropriate stakeholders.
• Collaborates across functions to deliver the required results and customer service levels.
• Participates in relevant internal and external forums and stays abreast of the latest developments relevant to the state-of-the-art materials, waste, contaminated site management, and remediation concepts and practices
• Advises mgt in approaches to improve environmental performance, risk management/reduction programs and implement control techniques.
• Drives implementation of policies, strategies and Global Operating Procedures
Coordination and Knowledge Sharing
• Leads knowledge sharing on materials, waste, contaminated site mgt, and remediation procedures and processes
• Coaches and mentors HSE & BCM associates tasked
• Role models a leadership style that is inclusive, proactive, respectful, change agile, innovative
• Reports are prepared as required by external agencies/organizations and by Novartis internal data collection processes, prepared and submitted in a complete manner and within required timelines.
• Support is provided to Corporate Responsibility and other external reporting.
• Globally derived targets, including 2020 Target of reduction of total non-recycled operational waste, are on track and ultimately achieved.
• Global Operating Procedures (GOP) on materials and waste management, and contaminated site management are developed and maintained in line with the international management system standards.
• Demonstrable environmental improvements and cost savings from improved materials usage, reduction of waste generated, efficiency projects or through other means are conceived and implemented.
• Novartis’ reputation is maintained and enhanced with respect to materials, waste, contaminated site management and remediation, and achievement of externally reported targets.
• Expense budgets under control of the Global Head of Environment are delivered and not exceeded unless significant unplanned expenses are incurred (e.g. due to an incident or agency action) and authorized by the Global HSE & BCM Head.
• Customer and management satisfaction and cross-functional programs’ effectiveness and service delivery are achieved as measured through multi-rater feedback.
• Open audit-generated action items or agency-generated findings are closed within the agreed-upon timelines and in a manner that prevents recurrence.Minimum requirementsMinimal requirement is a university degree in engineering, material science, or other related natural/technical field. Advanced degree desirable.
Overall relevant work experience of approximately 10 years, ideally at multi-national organizations, with an in-depth specialized expertise in HSE & BCM with a significant portion being within the pharmaceutical, biomedical research, and healthcare industry.
Understanding of the potential impact of materials usage and life cycle assessment that applies to all operations involved in the research and development (R&D), production, marketing and disposal of pharmaceutical products.
Experience in identification and management of diverse stakeholders with superior interpersonal/influencing skills.
High level of personal credibility, customer relationship management, and networking. Ability to communicate effectively across organizations.
Ability to balance resource demands from multiple internal customers.
Experience in leading high impact processes and implementation of improvements across global/regional matrix organizations with cross-functional exposure.
Understanding of the orga
At a minimum, fluency (speaking and writing) in English required. Working knowledge of further languages desirable (e.g. German, French. Spanish, Mandarin).