Please refer to JobSuchmaschine in your application
Head Energy and Climate
Job ID194114BRPosition TitleHead Energy and ClimateDivisionNBSBusiness UnitREFS NBSCountrySwitzerlandWork LocationBaselCompany/Legal EntityNovartis Pharma AGFunctional AreaFacilities and AdministrationJob TypeFull TimeEmployment TypeRegularJob DescriptionIn accordance with Novartis’ overall 2015 HSE&BCM vision and strategic initiatives, the purpose of this role is to lead the further development and implementation of the global energy and climate policy, strategy, standards, targets and performance criteria for all Novartis sites, and provide technical expertise in the areas of energy and carbon efficiency; air emissions; and climate change risk, adaptation and mitigation strategies.
• Leads the further development and implementation of a globally aligned strategy for climate, energy and carbon mgt at Novartis.
• Supports research and development operations, technical manufacturing operations, and internal business functions with expert technical knowledge
• Leads internal committees, working groups, and project initiatives and represents Novartis Implementation and Operations Governance
• Supports the Group HSE&BCM policy, strategy, standards, targets and performance criteria, including the HSE&BC Mgt System and its component Global Operating Procedures (GOPs). Develops Global Operating Procedures for mgt system elements and processes specific to air emissions, and energy and climate.
• Provides technical support and training in key areas.
• Promotes and maintains the HSE&BC reputation of Novartis though internal and external communication,
• Fosters HSE and BC/NEM networking within the Group
Expertise & Support
• Supports REFS, Procurement, HSE & BCM Business Partners and sites with technical expertise
• Oversees and manages external energy and climate reporting in a scientifically sound and cost-effective manner according to regulatory demands, ensuring full compliance and timely submissions.
• Supports Corporate Responsibility and other external reporting.
• Advises and counsels HSE & BCM professionals and company leaders. Operations
• Provides technical support and leadership in conjunction with the HSE & BCM Business Partners and the functional group Heads with respect climate, air emissions, and energy and carbon management, and leverages subject matter experts and affiliated departments to develop efficient processes and information flow to and from the appropriate stakeholders.
• Collaborates across functions to deliver the required results and customer service levels.
• Participates in relevant internal and external forums and stays abreast of the latest developments relevant to the state-of-the-art climate, air emissions, and energy and carbon management concepts and practices
• Advises mgt in approaches to improve environmental performance, risk mgt/reduction programs and implement control techniques
• Drives implementation of policies, strategies and Global Operating Procedures
Coordination and Knowledge Sharing
• Leads knowledge sharing on climate, air emissions, and energy and carbon management and processes, and ensures distribution of knowledge with gl. HSE&BCM Business Partners and sites
• Reports are prepared as required by external agencies/organizations and by Novartis internal data collection processes, prepared and submitted in a complete manner and within required timelines.
• Support is provided to Corporate Responsibility and other external reporting.
• Finalized approach to Target 2020 on total reduction of green house gas emissions is developed by1Q2017.
• Globally derived targets for energy and greenhouse gas reduction, including 2020 Target are on track and ultimately achieved.
• Global Operating Procedures (GOP) on air emissions, and energy and climate are developed and maintained in line with the international management system standards.
• Demonstrable environmental improvements and cost and/or GHG savings from energy efficiency projects or through other means are conceived and implemented.
• Measures are taken throughout the organization to fulfill Novartis long-term greenhouse gas targets including external pledges (American Business Act on Climate Pledge, etc.)
• Novartis’ reputation is maintained and enhanced with respect to energy and carbon management and achievement of externally reported targets.
• Expense budgets under control of the Global Head of Environment are delivered and not exceeded unless significant unplanned expenses are incurred (e.g. due to an incident or agency action) and authorized by the Global HSE & BCM Head.
• Customer and management satisfaction and cross-functional programs’ effectiveness and service delivery are achieved as measured through multi-rater feedback.
• Open audit-generated action items or agency-generated findings are closed within the agreed-upon timelines and in a manner that prevents recurrence.Minimum requirementsMinimal requirement is a university degree in engineering, energy management, or other related natural/technical field. Advanced degree desirable.
Overall relevant work experience of approximately 10 years, ideally at multi-national organizations, with an in-depth specialized expertise in HSE & BCM with a significant portion being within the pharmaceutical, biomedical research, and healthcare industry.
Understanding of the potential impact of energy and climate that applies to all operations involved in the research and development (R&D), production, marketing and disposal of pharmaceutical products.
Experience in identification and mgt of diverse stakeholders with superior interpersonal/influencing skills.
High level of personal credibility, customer relationship mgt, and networking ability. Ability to communicate effectively across organizations. Ability to balance resource demands from multiple internal customers.
Experience in leading high impact processes and implementation of improvements across global/regional matrix organizations with cross-functional exposure.
Understanding of the organization&NVS culture
At a minimum, fluency (speaking and writing) in English required. Working knowledge of further languages desirable (e.g. German, French. Spanish, Mandarin).