Chief Representative Officer Japan
CHIEF REPRESENTATIVE OFFICER JAPAN
The World Economic Forum, committed to improving the state of the world, is the international organization for public-private cooperation.
The Forum engages the foremost political, business and other leaders of society to shape global, regional and industry agendas.
The Japan team integrates the foremost government, business, civil society and academic leaders from Japan into World Economic Forum activities and communities. The team is involved in all aspects of relationship management, community development, knowledge networks, regional business council activities and special projects. The holder of this position is the leading representative of the World Economic Forum in Japan. This position is physically based in our office in Tokyo as well as most of the Japan team.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Set the strategic direction for advancing the Forum’s mission in Japan
• Serve as a thought leader within the Forum on all issues related to Japan
• Position the Forum as a critical/catalytic presence in Japan
• Establish credibility as an expert on Japan, as reflected in occasional thought leadership pieces or participation in knowledge fora
• Head the World Economic Forum Japan office and lead operations
• Report to the Member of the Forum Managing Board responsible for Regional and Government Engagement, collaborate with fellow heads of regions to foster cross-regional collaboration
• Lead, develop and motivate a dynamic and multicultural team of three to five collaborators in a fast-paced environment; develop the team’s ability to excel and rapidly adapt to changing realities
• Positively influence and motivate colleagues from other teams across the Forum to contribute to the objectives of the Japan team
• Develop operational structures, systems and staffing plans to support delivery of an effective integrated service
• Develop and nurture the Forum’s relationships in Japan, engaging the most relevant government and other stakeholders in Forum activities to ensure the greatest impact for the region
• Engage with other stakeholder groups to distil salient insights to help the Forum anticipate changes, developments and opportunities across its network of relationships
• Collaborate with the Forum’s industry and system initiative teams to co-develop and manage public-private partnerships with state and federal government in Japan
Event and Programme Management
• Oversee the organization of the annual Japan National Strategy Day meeting, including programme development, participation of relevant leaders, coordination with the government and budget management
• Develop country-level and national transformation meetings that effectively engage constituents on the most relevant regional issues
• Develop, adapt and articulate the strategy for the region by leveraging the Forum’s technology platform and tools
Qualifications and Skills
• Masters or doctoral degree in political science, international relations, business, economics, international development or other relevant field
• Global-level career record of 20 or more years’ experience in the public and/or private sector, civil society
• Demonstrated thought leadership and management responsibilities
• Demonstrated track record as a peer of senior actors and high-level stakeholders from government, business and public policy environments
• Clear track record of success in large-scale event design and delivery, knowledge leadership and team management
• Outstanding verbal and written language skills in English and Japanese; verbal proficiency in other languages would be an asset
• Experience in a multicultural and international environment
• Experience working in Japan or exposure to prominent Japanese stakeholders
• Excellent organizational, time management, interpersonal and network-building skills
If you meet these requirements, please apply online.