Electro Mechanical Engineer (Automation)
Electro Mechanical Engineer (Automation)
It's big, it's loud, it's cold, and it's a challenging and an exciting place to work! Come and join the project team of the LHC cryogenic facilities, a unique opportunity to work on machines that constitute nearly half the world's stock of large helium liquefiers. CERN, Take Part!
Electromechanical Engineer in Technology Department, Cryogenics Group (TE-CRG), Control and Electricity Section (CE).
The Cryogenics (TE-CRG) Group is in charge of the design, construction, commissioning and operation of the cryogenic systems for CERN accelerators and detectors, of the operation, maintenance and upgrade of cryogenic test facilities as well as of the management of the industrial support contract for maintenance and operation of cryogenic systems. It also provides support for low-temperature developments and tests at the Central Cryogenic Laboratory as well as consultancy and support in cryogenic design and cryogenic instrumentation.
As an Electro Mechanical Engineer specialist in the field control automation, informatics, data acquisition or equivalent, you will be a member of a multidisciplinary team in the Control and Electricity Section (CE). After an initial period of training you will take responsibility of design, construction, configuration, operation and support of process-control electrical equipment dedicated to new or existing cryogenic systems at CERN. You will:
- Participate in the first line support, maintenance and in the upgrades of existing cryogenic control systems. These tasks will comprise the fields of SCADA and PLC software, PLC front-end hardware, and electrical equipment.
- Develop of process control/electrical equipment for new cryogenic installations as well as for refurbishing existing cryogenic installations.
- Writing technical specifications for a procurement of outsourced control-electrical systems and follow-up contract execution with supplier.
- Participate in development of the tools and methods required for an automation control software production.
- Coordinate a team of technical engineers and technicians.
- In collaboration with the engineers from the operation sections, play an active role in the stand by support and maintenance procedures definition
- Take responsibility for project management and quality control.
- Supervise teams during design, construction, installation, testing and commissioning of complex control cryogenic systems.
- Manage the associated technical documentation for the Quality Assurance Plan.
The work requires collaboration with persons and services inside and outside the Organization.
Master's degree or PhD, or equivalent relevant experience, in the field of electromechanical engineering, informatics, control automation or a related field.
Experience and competencies
The experience required for this post is:
- Proven experience in the design and development of industrial control processes and/or in the field of commissioning, maintenance and support of complex electromechanical plants.
- Demonstrated experience in project management and/or international partnership.
- Proven programming experience in one of the object oriented languages.
- Experience in design of complex process control functional analysis, would be a major asset.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Overall architectural design of large control systems / design of control systems: control standards and regulation.
- Configuration, programming and use of Supervisory Control And Data Acquisition (SCADA) systems: programming and use of monitoring systems.
- Commissioning, operation & maintenance of electronic test and measurement equipment: electrical engineering comprising electrical equipment design, production, testing, commissioning, operation, and maintenance.
- Installation and maintenance of Actuators (Valves, Electrical, Hydraulic, Pneumatic actuators): basic process instrumentation.
- Systems design.
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Learning and sharing knowledge: sharing knowledge and expertise freely and willingly with others; coaching others to ensure knowledge transfer.
- Demonstrating flexibility: demonstrating a willingness to accept changing circumstances; supporting initiatives for change; being willing to move from one project/group/department to another; adapting quickly and resourcefully to shifting priorities and requirements.
- Managing self: working well autonomously; taking on activities and tasks without prompting; remaining objective, focussed and productive in a stressful environment; focusing on solutions rather than problems.
- Achieving results: delivering prompt and efficient service taking into account customer needs.
- Working in teams; working well in groups and readily fitting into a team; participating fully and taking an active role in team activities; cooperating constructively with others in the pursuit of team goals; balancing personal goals with team goals.
The language competencies required for this post are:
- Spoken and written English: ability to draw-up technical specifications documentation and/or scientific reports. Basic knowledge of French or an undertaking to acquire it rapidly.
Employing a diverse and international workforce is a CERN core value and central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States irrespective of gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or personal situation.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 16.11.2016.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
Note on Employment Conditions
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 years. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry.
Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- Shift work, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.
Read more about employment conditions