MMV is a leading product development partnership (PDP) in the field of antimalarial drug research and development. Its mission is to reduce the burden of malaria in disease-endemic countries by discovering, developing and delivering new, effective and affordable antimalarial drugs.
MMV’s success in research & development and access & product management comes from its extensive partnership networkof over 400 pharmaceutical, academic and endemic-country partners in 50 countries.
We are currently seeking a Director to join our Translational Medicine team and to lead drug development from candidate declaration through to end of phase IIa. Working closely with MMV’s Discovery and Development teams as well as with external partners (pharmaceutical/biotech companies and CROs), the Director will manage a variety of projects, aiming to ensure the successful development of antimalarial drug candidates.
The Director will:
- Lead cross-functional project teams, composed of MMV staff and external partners, including pharmaceutical companies, academic institutions and consultants
- Develop a project strategy towards a Target Product Profile (TPP), based on the molecule’s fit with MMV’s Target Candidate Profile (TCP)
- Develop and manage project plans in collaboration with clinical development departments
- Perform option space mapping in order to develop strong full development clinical candidates
- Assist the Expert Scientific Advisory Committee (ESAC) in selecting development projects
- Proactively create new partnerships to develop new medicines
- Review assessment reports to support candidate selection
- Collect and provide information to support project progress to phase IIa
- Ensure that the Investigational Medicinal Product (IMP) is manufactured to GMP specifications
- Supervise and guide stability testing of Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients (API) and finished IMPs
- Ensure that preclinical studies and clinical trials are conducted under GLP/GCP standards to achieve product registration
- Evaluate and select CROs to conduct preclinical and clinical activities
- Manage project budgets and timelines
- Negotiate and monitor partner contracts to ensure cost effectiveness
Education and Experience:
- PhD in Chemistry, Biochemistry, Pharmacy, or related field
- Minimum 8 years’ experience in a medium to large pharmaceutical company in the area of clinical development, clinical pharmacology, PK/PD or regulatory affairs
- Knowledge of combination development, paediatric development and/ or infectious diseases, an advantage
- Project management and leadership experience in discovery, preclinical and clinical development
- Experience in overseeing manufacturing of API kilo batches
Technical skills required:
- Knowledge of FDA and EMA regulatory requirements and ICH/GCP guidelines
- Proficiency with a variety of Microsoft programmes
- Willingness to travel as necessary, consistent with the project needs (20%)
- Excellent command of English, both spoken and written; knowledge of French and other languages important
Behavioural skills required:
- Clear and concise verbal and written communication skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Detail-oriented and able to prioritize and handle multiple tasks simultaneously
- Able to work independently and in a team environment
- Self-motivated and eager to grow professionally; committed to continuing professional development
- Experience within cross-functional project teams, resulting in a broad understanding of the multi-disciplinary aspects of drug development
- Stong collaboration skills at all levels within a broad and complex clinical and research environment
- Demonstrated ability to plan research activities, take decisions and to achieve project goals
- Experience preparing and delivering presentations at an international conference level
- Flexible and adaptable in a changing environment
Start date: As soon as possible
Preference will be given to Swiss citizens and candidates who hold a valid work permit.
Interested applicants should send their CV and a cover letter giving reasons for their interest in the position to jobs[at] mmv.orgbefore 17 November 2016. Please refer to the following code in the subject line of your email: RD-2016-12.
Recruitment agencies are kindly requested to refrain from submitting applications.