Please refer to JobSuchmaschine in your application
Program Manager/ Malawi
Program Manager/ Malawi
The Basel Institute on Governance’s International Centre for Asset Recovery (ICAR) has been mandated
by the UK Department for International Development (DfID) Malawi office to implement a 43-months
program in support of Malawi’s efforts to pursue corruption and related complex financial crime. The
program aims to work towards this goal through enhancing the skills and capacities of relevant law
enforcement agencies in detecting, investigating and prosecuting these type of criminal offences, by
advising on legislative amendments and by assisting law enforcement agencies to effectively cooperate
at the domestic and international level.
The program is to be implemented by a team of in-country experts, comprising four senior technical
experts in financial investigation, asset recovery and theft, fraud and corruption related to
pharmaceutical drugs in the supply chain, supported by a local program manager and a local program
ICAR HQ is responsible for the substantive supervision of the implementation of the program, in
particular through its Head of Legal and Case Consultancy.
The Program Manager will work in support of the overall objectives of the project by providing external
and internal coordination and communications and ensuring appropriate handling of all local
administrative and organisational tasks related to the operational implementation of the program.
• To build and maintain close working relationships with key contacts in the beneficiary
institutions in Malawi, including the Anti Corruption Bureau, the Office of the Director for Public
Prosecution, the Financial Intelligence Unit and the Ministry of Health, as well as the Office of
the Attorney General, the police, customs and other relevant agencies
• To build relationships with relevant public non-beneficiary institutions, policy makers and civil
society to enable ICAR to deliver the objectives of the program and to contribute to the
development of policy changes in Malawi in order for the program to contribute to sustainable
• To be responsible for managing ICAR’s relationship with DfID Malawi under the direction of
• Assist ICAR HQ (Switzerland) with the administration of service contracts (HR/procurement)
and other local administrative and logistical tasks required under the program
• Support ICAR HQ in the collection of all required information to conduct adequate qualitative
and quantitative evaluation of the program’s impact
Basel Institute on Governance
Steinenring 60 | 4051 Basel, Switzerland | +41 61 205 55 11
email@example.com | www.baselgovernance.org
• Assist ICAR HQ in drafting all relevant operational and other project reports as required in the
context of the program
• Maintain and update all project files, including case files according to ICAR’s filing policy
• Act as secretary to the project steering committee
Skills and qualifications
• A university degree, preferably at Master level, and ideally in law, economics or politics
• At least 5 years of practical working experience in the area of international development of
which at least 3 years with responsibility for managing projects and related budgets
• Have an understanding of and practical experience with developing and implementing
development programs, preferably anti-corruption and governance programs
• Ability to work independently, and as a team player in challenging operational environments
• Ability to build working relationships with senior level government officials
• Experience with working in developing countries; in particular working in Africa would be an
• Experience with program reporting and evaluation in the context of development programs
• Experience with applying IT tools
• Experience with human resource management and contract management would be an asset
• Fluency in writing and speaking English; Chichewa would be an asset
Reporting and institutional set-up
The Program Manager Malawi works as a consultant to the Legal and Case Consultancy team of ICAR.
S/he will report directly to the Head of Legal and Case Consultancy at ICAR HQ and shall work closely
with the other project team members both in Malawi and at ICAR HQ. The appointment is initially for a
period of 12 months with an option of extension.
Place of work
This is a local position based in Lilongwe, Malawi.
Depending on professional experience and academic background the gross monthly salary for the
Program Manager will vary from GBP 2’000 to 3’000.
Further inquiries about the position can be directed to Mr Stephen Ratcliffe, Senior Investigation
If interested, please send CV and short letter of motivation to firstname.lastname@example.org as
soon as possible, and no later than 1 November 2016.