Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group is the award winning owner and operator of some of the worlds' finest hotels. The Group operates luxury hotels in key leisure and business destinations. In total Mandarin Oriental employs 12,000 colleagues in three continents with 13 hotels in Asia, 6 in North America and 10 in Europe.
Prepares all event documentation and coordinates with Banquet Operations, hotel departments, and customer to ensure consistent, high level service throughout pre-event, event and post event phases of hotel events; primarily handles events of average complexity. Ensures all hotel events have a seamless turnover from sales to service back to sales. Recognizes opportunities to maximize revenue opportunities by up-selling and offering enhancements to create outstanding events. Ensures compliance with Mandarin Oriental Operating Standards to maintain brand integrity.
SCOPE / BUSINESS CONTEXT / CANDIDATE PROFILE
- Number of Room: 189
- Event Space: 800 Square Feet
- Reports to the Director of Groups & Events in the Sales & Marketing Division
- Handles complex events/programs and Key Accounts planning all event aspects to the customer's requirement, coordinating with appropriate departments to ensure a successful execution.
- Proactively identifies operational challenges associated with his/her group and works with the hotel staff and customer to solve these challenges and/or develop alternative solutions.Leads pre-event and post-event meetings for assigned groups. Greets customer during the event phase and hands-off to the operations team for the execution of details.
- Facilitates various meetings as necessary (Banquet Event Order meeting, block review, etc).
- Acts as liaison between hotel and customer throughout the event process (pre-event, event, post-event). Coordinates and communicates verbally and in writing with customer (internal and external) regarding event details. Makes presence known to customer at all times during this process. Is available to solve problems and/or suggest alternatives to previous arrangements. Follows up with customer post-event.Displays leadership in guest hospitality and ensures consistent, high level service throughout all phases of hotel events. Ensures products and services sold to Event/Meeting Planners meet or exceed their expectations, create loyalty and leads to increased market share.
- Interacts with guests to obtain feedback on product quality and service levels. Effectively responds to and handles guest problems and complaints.
- Empowers ladies and gentleman to provide excellent customer service. Ensures ladies and gentleman understand expectations and parameters.
- Sets a positive example for guest relations. Observes service behaviors of associates and provides feedback to individuals; continuously strives to improve service performance.
- Conducts pre- and post-event meetings as required to review/communicate customer's needs and feedback.
- Actively solicits feedback from the hotel departments to identify areas for improvement to enhance the Event/Meeting Planner's experience.
- Reviews comment cards and guest satisfaction results with associates. Participates in the development and implementation of corrective action plans.
- Emphasizes guest satisfaction during all departmental meetings and focuses on continuous improvement.
Sales & Revenue
- Helps build the hotel revenue by focusing on the post-contractual sale of products and services. Maximizes revenue by up selling contracted products and identifying additional revenue opportunities based on the event profile.
- Effectively upsells products and services throughout the event process. Meets and exceeds individual upsell goals.
- Meets and exceeds individual guest room and food and beverage forecasting accuracy goals.
- Meets and exceeds team banquet profitability goals.
- Participates in customer site inspections and assists with the sales process when necessary.
- Effectively manages customer budgets to maximize revenue and meet customer needs.
- Accurately forecasts group sleeping rooms and event revenue (banquet and audio-visual) for his/her groups and acts as a mentor for other managers in this area.
- Demonstrates commitment to Mandarin Oriental operating principles and philosophies.
- Contributes to team results.
- Deals with change effectively.
- Makes decisions and commits to a course of action with available information.
Skills and Knowledge
- Effective up-sell skills of products and services
- Knowledge of menu planning, food presentation, and banquet and event service operations
- Ability to manage guest room and meeting space inventories
- Broad understanding of facility management (sanitation, maintenance, operations)
- Strong customer development and relationship management skills
- Knowledge of overall hotel operations as they affect department
- Knowledge of Audio Video products and services
- Knowledge of contract management and legalities
- Financial management skills e.g., ability to understand P&L statements, manage operating budgets, forecasting and scheduling
- Strong communication skills (verbal, listening, writing)
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Strong customer and associate relation skills
- Strong presentation and platform skills
- Strong organization skills
- Strong "persuasion" skills
- Ability to use standard software applications and hotel systems
- Effective decision making skills
- Effective influence skills
Education or Certification
- High School Diploma or equivalent required
- Bachelor's Degree preferred