Head Biological Assessment EAME
Head Biological Assessment EAME - (1603778)
As global demand for food and fuel continues to rise, we are dedicated to our purpose: Bringing plant potential to life. Syngenta is one of the world’s leading companies with more than 28,000 employees in over 90 countries. We work in a collaborative an inspiring culture where personal contribution is rewarded and growth and development are at the heart of our culture.
Through our world-class science, global reach and commitment to working with our customers, we help to increase crop productivity, protect the environment and improve health and quality of life.
There’s never been a more important time to join Syngenta.
For more information about us please visit www.syngenta.com
- Effectively lead the regional Biological Assessment (BA) organization to deliver on the global and regional R&D strategic growth agenda, in coordination with Global BAT and Territory R&D.
- Ensure the translation of R&D strategies to midterm BA strategy (including investment, sourcing) and ensure the consolidation of the BA yearly capacity plans.
- Drive simplification and standardization of BA processes and implementing the necessary change projects
- Embed continuous improvement and sustainable excellence mind-set in the BA organization across the Territories and Sites
- Member of the Regional R & D Leadership Team and the Global BALT
- Ensure the appropriate capabilities are in place in the region to deliver the agreed strategies and portfolio.
- Deliver the change Agenda and Productivity Projects – driven by Strategic Roadmap. Represent BA and drive respective activities in the strategic global R&D change initiatives at regional and global level
- Responsible for the development and implementation of the BA sourcing strategy to build in sustainable agility
- Act as the regional business partner of Biological Assessment for CP & Seeds Product Development, as well as for other global platforms (Portfolio, Regulatory, etc)
- Support the development of key global platforms (One Biology, Mint) to enable standardization and data integration across Seeds / CP, regions and all businesses and drive successfully implementation regionally
- The role ensures sharing of best practises and conformity to harmonized Syngenta processes, including HSE, stewardship, Quality Codes of Practice, and compliance with local regulations.
- Ensure appropriate talent attraction, development and retention processes to grow capability in conjunction with the territories
- Transition 2016-2017: drive the finalisation and implementation of the EAME BA Target Operating Model review, including change and engagement with staff and relevant stakeholders, European Works Council consultation, in charge of the management and transition of impacted staff.
- The role supports successful transition management from regional restructuring and corresponding savings to long-term sustainable operational excellence.
Knowledge, experience & capabilities
- MSC or PhD in Agronomy or Biology
- Good understanding of agriculture, crop management and breeding principles
- Thorough understanding of R&D processes and sufficient knowledge to identify the critical issues and engage effectively with people.
- Knowledge of Syngenta functions supporting R&D, the critical interfaces and those systems relevant for portfolio/project management and finance
- Critical experience
- Leadership and getting things done also without direct reporting lines
- Experience in operating independently in a complex matrix environment
- Well-developed network across Syngenta’s R&D organisations
- Experience of partnering with regional or global business teams to develop RD strategy
Critical technical, professional and personal capabilities
- PhD (or equivalent expertise) in relevant science with a track-record of delivery of complex multidisciplinary projects.
- Strategic thinking skills
- Personal resilience and tenacity
- Clear decision-making in the face of conflicting priorities and ambiguity
- Strong influencing skills to lead and mobilise action without direct reporting lines
- Good communication skills and ability to operate across cultures and geographies, and across businesses where there are few established processes to get things done.
Critical leadership capabilities
- Engage & Inspire
- Results Orientation
- Global perspective
Primary Location: CHE-Basel-Basel
Job: Biological Assessment