Senior Patent Attorney
Senior Patent Attorney - (1600795)
Description About Syngenta:Syngenta is a leading agriculture company helping to improve global food security by enabling millions of farmers to make better use of available resources. Through world class science and innovative crop solutions, our 28,000 people in over 90 countries are working to transform how crops are grown. We are committed to rescuing land from degradation, enhancing biodiversity and revitalizing rural communities.
About the job:
The Syngenta Patent Department is comprised of highly skilled and motivated individuals working together in a mutually supportive environment to achieve Syngenta’s business goals.
IP Lead - Vegetables
To lead and manage the global IP activities and matters for Syngenta’s Vegetables business and to identify, protect, enforce and leverage technical and intellectual assets for the Vegetables business. The responsibilities of this role also include co-ordination of a global sub-team of patent attorneys and specialists; working closely with all relevant internal partners (including R&D, various Vegetables business units, Legal and Licensing) as well as with stakeholders outside Syngenta.
To ensure the delivery of IP strategies, transactions and operations as a pro-active business leader and in an integrated perspective with legal and licensing colleagues as appropriate, and in compliance with applicable laws and regulations and Syngenta rules and policies.
In this role you will:
- Assure professional, strategic and operational IP support for Vegetables.
- Drive the Vegetables IP strategy globally and regionally, and closely coordinate with the broader Agribusiness Legal and IP (ALIP) network.
- Manage the day-to-day IP function within the global and regional Vegetables business
- Promote and deliver the innovative use of IP, and related legal and licensing tools, as an integral part of the Vegetables business strategies; develop global, regional and country IP strategies accordingly.
- Ensure that IP rights are protected in accordance with business strategies; assure enforcement of Syngenta’s rights and defends Syngenta against claims.
- Interact with external stakeholders, e.g. International Licensing Platform (ILP), Anti-Infringement Bureau (AIB) etc.
- Maintain and manage the Vegetables patent portfolios.
- Be responsible to Vegetables senior management for delivering IP strategy, building strong relationships, and supporting and helping deliver the business strategy.
- Promote, deliver, and lead the innovative use of IP tools; develop IP strategies in service of the business strategies, and ensure that IP rights are protected in accordance with business strategies, assure enforcement of Syngenta’s rights and defend Syngenta against claims.
The position will also involve all aspects of Seeds & Biotechnology IP practice with particular emphasis on:
Critical success factors & key challenges
- Application drafting, worldwide patent filing, prosecution and defense in the area of Seeds & Biotechnology-related inventions
- FTO opinion drafting and EP Oppositions and Appeals
- Client counseling, evaluating patent validity and infringement issues, preparing and reviewing IP related agreements and managing an IP portfolio.
- Advocacy on various biotech-related issues (e.g., the European Biotechnology Patents Directive, Nagoya Protocol etc.)
- The position will be located in Basel, Switzerland
- Ability to business partner effectively across functions and globally is critical. Key challenge is engagement across the various business, R&D and ALIP teams.
- Ability to effectively lead, delegate and manage IP resources.
- Rapidly gain an understanding of Syngenta’s patent portfolio and key issues associated with the Vegetables business
- Interact with business and technical teams as well as global ALIP colleagues to identify and protect Syngenta IP interests and identify and address freedom-to-operate challenges
- Effective prioritization among long- and short- term goals involving diverse contacts throughout the organization; ability to simultaneously progress multiple projects
- Proactive contributor to IP team with focus on quality work along with collaboration, teamwork, accountability and adaptability.
Qualifications Knowledge, experience & capabilities
- Degree or equivalent experience in life sciences, preferably in Genomics, Molecular Biology, Plant Molecular Biology, Plant Genetics or Biochemistry. Working knowledge of marker assisted breeding a plus.
- Qualified European Patent Attorney with at least 5 years post-qualification experience in the patent profession
- Demonstrated interest and ability in advocacy, for example in industry groups or before government institutions
- Strong interpersonal and team building skills.
- Law firm, Patent Office, or in-house experience is a plus
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office
Critical technical, professional and personal capabilities:
- Fluent in English, required; fluent in German, French or Dutch is a plus
- Collaboratively formulate, implement and continually update a worldwide patent strategy for areas of responsibility that is consistent with company and project goals.
- Foster company and department competencies and values.
- Ability to proactively identify issues, propose and implement solutions
- Ability to effectively and constructively interact with various functions at all levels of the organization
- Self-initiative and self-direction, ability to work independently
- Excellent oral and written communication, problem solving and organization skills required.
- Ability to contribute as a successful part of a team
- The candidate should have experience in conducting oppositions, especially with respect to oral proceedings before the European Patent Office.
- The candidate should have been active in industry association or similar advocacy groups.
- The candidate should have experience in managing patent attorneys.
Primary Location: CHE-Basel-Basel
Job: Intellectual Property