The Project Coordination Officeof the Human Brain Project( HBP-PCO) at EPFL , situated at the Campus Biotech in Geneva, Switzerland is looking to strengthen its Collaboratory team with an experienced:
HBP - Senior Software Engineer – Collaboratory Product Owner
The HBP Collaboratory provides collaborative workspaces and enables collaborative workflows to support the global scientific effort to build, explore and exploit simulated brain models of unparalleled complexity, scope and detail.
To accomplish this goal, the HBP Collaboratory also provides a web portal and web service ecosystem to integrate web based applications and services from the 6 HBP Platforms:
- Brain Simulation
- High Performance Analytics and Computing
- Medical Informatics
- Neuromorphic computing
You can get an overview of the HBP Platforms and some of the science they support from the 1 stHBP Platform Release videos here:
Specific responsibilities include:
- Gathering input from diverse stakeholders and synthesis of that input into a cohesive, defensible feature prioritization.
- Leadership role in architecture and development of rich, highly interactive web applications to enable scientific collaboration
- Participation in the UI and UX design process
- Development of web APIs for a microservice architecture
- Integration with various backend services and tools
- All aspects of the modern software development lifecycle: unit testing, continuous integration, version control, debugging, documentation and direct user support
- Regular, direct interaction with scientific customers
Essential skills and experience :
- It is expected that the you come with a strong development background; frontend, backend or full-stack. You should be able to demonstrate expertise in one or both of the following:
- Web service API development Proven ability to iteratively develop and deploy user relevant features to production applications.
- Good team players and fluent written and spoken English
- Jupyter notebooks
- Client side testing frameworks (Selenium or comparable)
- Devops or SaaS environment experience
- Elasticsearch or Lucene experience
- Data visualization, WebGL or game development experience
- Experience in applying Agile methodologies
- Production experience with Java and/or Python
- Minimum of 7 years of experience and successful development track record for large collaborative software projects
What is HBP?
The Human Brain Project is a European Flagship project with 112 leading universities and research institutes in 24 countries around the world. The goal of the project is to better understand the human brain by accelerating large-scale collaborative neuroscience across a wide range of disciplines. As part of the work needed to accomplish this goal we are building a neuroscientific research infrastructure to enable strategic scientific use-cases.
Why work in the HBP-PCO Collaboratory team?
Understanding the human brain is one of the greatest challenges facing 21st century science. Joining the HBP-PCO will put you at the centre of an effort to gain profound insights into what makes us human, develop new treatments for brain disease and build revolutionary new computing technologies.
The Collaboratory team in the HBP-PCO plays a central role in the larger HBP Platform effort to build solid scientific software tools and services. You will find yourself inspired by the cool things that people around you are building and make a meaningful contribution to understanding the brain. You will find yourself inspired by the exciting things that people around you are building and make a meaningful contribution to understanding the brain.
We work hard to find the right people and to keep our skills and insights sharp. We are a young, dynamic, interdisciplinary and international team. We focus on delivering high value to the scientific community and are involved in everything from community engagement to integrating scientific workflows with some of the world’s largest supercomputers.
Our offices benefit from a modern working environment based in Biotech Campus, 200m from the shore of Lake Leman, in one of the best cities to live in the world. You will be in the center of Europe with easy access by rail and Geneva airport to all that Europe has to offer.
Join us and make an important contribution to the success of one of the most exciting projects of the 21 stcentury!
Start date : 01.06.2017 ; Deadline for application: until the position is filled
Activity rate : 100%; Duration of contract: 1 year, renewable
Reference : HBP-INFRA-COLLAB PO
Applicants should submit a cover letter and a detailed CV in PDF format only, with file name “Surname_positon applied_Cover letter” and “Surname_positon applied_CV” electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org Please use the position title in the “object” field.
HBP - 04.05.2017