Please refer to JobSuchmaschine in your application
Job ID 215277BR Position Title Principal Patent Attorney Division PHARMA Business Unit Global Legal Country Switzerland Work Location Basel Company/Legal Entity Novartis Pharma AG Functional Area Legal & Intellectual Property & Compliance Job Type Full Time Employment Type Regular Job Description A global healthcare leader, Novartis has one of the most exciting product pipelines in the industry today. A pipeline of innovative medicines brought to life by diverse, talented, performance driven people. All of which makes us one of the most rewarding employers in our field. We're committed to peak performance, improving the quality of life, and embracing and leveraging diverse backgrounds, cultures and talents to achieve competitive advantage.
The Principal Patent Attorney directly lead preparation for and oversight of European Patent Oppositions; Handling European Patent Opposition budget; Handling relationship with external Opposition counsel when Novartis retains them; Strategic business partner in the context of patent Opposition matters.
Main duties and responsibilities will include :
• Harness and increase in-house expertise to manage opposition work completely or to a large extend in-house;
• Lead opposition work back in-house and manage the cases in cooperation with the respective product attorney;
• Create a best in class Opposition capability for Novartis Pharma and NIBR
• Maintaining overview of outsourced Oppositions, and support the project attorneys to ensure quality instructions/information sent to external Opposition counsel;
• Ensure strong working relationship on Opposition matters with product attorneys and litigators, as well as counterparts in other divisions, e.g. Sandoz, Alcon to address opposition related issues early and facilitate solutions on a timely basis;
• Train in-house patent-attorney-trainees on EP Opposition matters;
• Managing the Opposition-lunch-meeting together with NIBR;
• Building up and managing of Opposition databases;
• Coordinating with/control of relationship with external Opposition counsel including monitoring their quality and performance; - Management of the Opposition budget (forecast, control);
• Close coordination with Head Litigation ex US. Minimum requirements EDUCATION
• EQE and national patent attorney qualification; scientific degree BA, BSc, PhD in chemistry, biology, biochemistry or equivalent
• Fluent level of English; additional European languages preferred;
• 5-10 years of experience in patent matters in the pharmaceutical industry is a MUST (in-house or private practice)
• 4-6 years of experience in European Patent Opposition work; managing Senior management interaction;
• Credible manager with experience managing complex projects; political savvy and competence; good cultural awareness and sensitivity; a developed sense of customer service and process orientation; attention to detail; good team skills; ability to manage and achieve results through influence.
• Significant experience, and proven ability to effectively engage & manage associates from widely varying backgrounds & functions within a dispersed and highly matrix organization
• Commitment to excellence in all activities.
• Pragmatic and goal orientated. Willing to take ownership and do what it takes to deliver >B>