Project Manager for Data Management Implementation
Purpose of the post
The Office of the Director-General is sponsoring a project for the implementation of the Data Management Model (DMM) across the Institution, an initiative that aims at re-organizing all data management functions at different levels of the organization according to a segregation of roles (typically data quality, support, training and analytics functions).
The modalities of implementation of the Data Management Model were approved by the Directorate on October 10th, marking the official go ahead to proceed with the implementation of the project over the period 2018 - 2020.
This project aims to accelerate ICRC’s maturity level in the area of data management and develop the institution’s ability to capitalise on its data while achieving transversal collaboration and synergies across business lines where appropriate, and this across all levels of the Institution (Headquarters, SSC, Region and Field). The project will involve both the implementation of the long term objectives of the Data Management Roadmap, as well as the establishment of improvements on the short and medium term, realising a maximum of quick wins. As part of the project, ICRC will aim at aligning the business & support processes across all data management domains (i.e. support, data quality, training and reporting), integrate data models and optimise its organizational structure in the area of data management.
The Project Manager will be responsible for the day-to-day project management of the Data Management Implementation project and for the coordination of the various stakeholders involved in the project, across ‘functional areas’ (business units) and at all levels of the Institution (Headquarters, SSC, Region, Field). He/she is accountable to drive the project to its successful completion, and to oversee its implementation in line with agreed scope-timing-cost parameters, institutional priorities and within the project and environmental constraints. Preferably, based on prior experience in data management engagements in organizations or institutions similar to ICRC, the project manager will actively contribute to the realization of the Data Management initiative by providing input and guidance on industry best practices and emerging trends in this domain.
Main duties and responsibilities
- Manage the overall implementation of the Data Management Project and the target data management organization across all functional areas and all levels of the Organization, throughout the project lifecycle, from Project initiation to the closing phase.
- Continuously monitor progress against set objectives for achieving the Data Management Model (DMM) on Institutional Level as defined in the DMM and in line with the recent decision for implementation
- At the project’s initiation, establish the project brief and the overall business case for data management, considering both the overall implementation cost as well as the (transversal) synergies to be achieved by each of the functional areas by 2020.
- Initiate, facilitate, coordinate and report for the regular ‘Assess and Adjust’ process to update and adjust the consolidated data management roadmap across budget structures (HQ, CSN, Investment, field budget) in line with the level of achievement over the past period, the changing environment and institutional objectives, and update/maintain the overall business case and roll-forward consolidated roadmap for POM / Directorate yearly approval of FTE and budget allocation.
- Manage and monitor the evolution of the project scope, time, cost Ensure project management in compliance with the ICRC’s Project Management Framework and monitors and controls the subsequent phases of the project according to the objectives set by the project Steering Committee.
- Ensure that the scope and timeline of the project and each of its subcomponents is realistic while securing the expected benefits and objectives
- Define and operate an adequate project governance structure by continuously evaluating various risk parameters and organise, prepares, conducts, coordinate, facilitate, reports on all project management activities necessary to achieve the project's objectives and ensures project controls are documented and recorded accordingly.
- Maintain a global view on the project progress, as well as a detailed view on the status of individual deliverables. Report on project development/changes, identify decision requiring validation and prepare relevant documents for the Steering Committee.
- Escalate project's issues and risks to the Steering Committee and ensure that mitigating actions are undertaken and effectively monitored.
- Establish and operate proper change management, internal communication and mobilisation around the Data Management Project in close liaison with all functional areas stakeholders at all Institutional levels.
- Consider any initiatives/projects running in parallel, which might either be a prerequisite or a dependency with the Data Management Model and its implementation, and address any impact these might have to the data management project.
- Ensure a proper degree of quality assurance by reviewing the project documentation and deliverables for completeness and quality, on order to achieve the overall project goals.
- Facilitate the design and establishment of the future Target Data Management Organizational Structure and until Global Service delivery management is in place.
- Advice on leading practices and emerging trends in Data Management.
Education and experience required
- Advanced university degree; specialized certification and/or training in project management, change management or risk management an asset.
- A minimum of 8 years of experience in a multinational organization working on global scale projects.
- Proven and successful track record in leading projects and implementing organizational change in international organisations.
- Proven prior experience in global implementation and transformation projects in the area of data management, and capable to provide input and advice on leading practice and emerging trends in the area of Data Management.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English and French.
Desired profile and skills
- Confirmed project management skills.
- Solid team player with sense of initiative and confirmed capacity to mobilise multidisciplinary teams and create followers.
- Confirmed capacity to steer and prioritize users’ requests, in line with Institutional objectives and priorities.
- Tough negotiator, proactive and results-oriented.
- Strong analytical and organizational skills; ability to synthesise information.
- Ability to facilitate, drive and influence the decision making process across Metiérs and at all levels of the organization up to POM and Directorate level.
- Ability to translate complex questions into practical strategies and action and to present information in a clear and concise manner.
- Available for ad-hoc missions in shared services centres (Belgrade / Manilla), Regional hubs (Amman, Nairobi, Pretoria, Bogota, etc.) and Field Delegations.
- Excellent listening, presentation and interpersonal skills.
- Location : Geneva
- Type of contract : Maximum-term
- Activity rate : 100%
- Length of assignment : until 31.12.2020
- Estimated start date : ASAP
- Application deadline : Sunday, 4th March 2018